Pontycymer RFC | 1st Team 7 - 34 Bridgend Sports Club RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
09 April 2018 / Team News

Pontycymmer 7 Bridgend Sports 34

Pontycymmer 7 Bridgend Sports Club 34

The start of this game was full of basic errors from both sides as they seemed not to allow for the heavy,wet conditions and a greasy ball. This was good entertainment for the loyal support and highlighted the layoff that both teams had had over the Christmas period. When this mid-field shambles had finished it was the Sports who looked to widen the ball to their speedy wingers and it was centre Ken Morris for the Sports who put Dan Donnelly away on the right wing for the first try that Josh Davies just missed and after ten minutes the Sports had a 0-5 lead.

For the second Sports try Morris needed no help as he turned the whole of the Ponycymmer threequarters with a deft grubber kick which he followed up and with a football ‘foot-rush’ guiding the ball to the line and this try was converted by Davies taking the Sports to a 12 point lead. Both sides by now had settled to the heavy conditions and were handling and off-loading very well but when a deep kick from the home side fell to the retreating Dan Donnelly, the winger put in a huge diagonal kick for the Sports back row to chase and pressurise the full back. As Pontycymmer tried to clear their line flanker Dewi Rees charged the ball down over the home try line and speedy second row Connor Browne was in good support to touch down for the third try as the half ended 0-17. 

It took a good 20 minutes for the stalemate to be broken in the second half with the Sports back row in good inside support to Josh Davies and Lee Roderick and it was flanker Dewi Rees who wrong footed the home side as his speed took him clean through to score the bonus point try. This seemed to have stirred up the home side as they dominated the next 15 minutes with good inter-passing and pressure was put on the Sports defence.

When quick ball got to fly half Gareth Howells, he neatly sliped through to score under the posts and added the points himself reducing the lead to 7-22. It was now the Sports turn to exert the pressure and with the scrums reduced to ‘passive’ they opted for a scrum rather than take a penalty in front of the posts. The quick ball was well distributed by Ken Morris to Lee Roderick who rounded the defence and scored under the posts for converted try and a scoreline of 7-29 with 10 minutes left of the match.

The fitness level of the Sports, especially their whole back row and Browne and Obard in the second row, was very good as they supported Rob Spears and Josh Davies for some inter-passing on the left wing and the final ball inside for Davies to score and end the game at 7-34 on a cold afternoon at Lawrence Park. 

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos