08 April 2018 / Club News

Mini and Junior Weekly Round Up 08.04.18

It was good to see a busy week end for Bridgend Sports Mini and Rugby teams. The 2017-18 season has been heavily disrupted by the weather and with a dry morning it was great to see so many young players taking to the field.

The Under Sevens enjoyed their run out at the Bridgend Athletic festival.

The Under Eights played hosts to touring team Loughor and mixed it up with a round robin against Nelson. They had a great morning as they outscored their opponents in all games. Sports 10 Loughor 4. Sports 5 Nelson 4. The Sports tries were scored by Zack Hughes, Dan Flower, Dan Perriman, Rhys Evans, Rhodri Owen, Max Hearing, and Kayden Jones.  Reuben Sinclair earned Star of the week.

The Under Tens also enjoyed a round robin against three good teams in Tondu, Loughor and Cwmavon. Tondu were very organised and clinical at the ruck as the Sports got off to a slow start in the first game. Despite putting in some good tackles, the Sports did not come to life until the last five minutes It was all a little too late as Tondu ran in seven tries. The Sports played Loughor next. Another organised, strong side. Chloe Robin led from the front for the Sports, she was outstanding at counter rucking and all-round play. The home side gave everything but Loughor capitalised on a few mistakes to win a fantastic game 0 – 15. The Sports saved their best for the last game against Cwmavon. The forwards and backs linked well for Dylan Evans to score first from a fantastic long pass by Matthew Oglesbee. Maddie Rees drove over low and hard for the next try and Toby Lewis scored the last try following a strong run along the touch line. Cwmavon brought on a sub in the last couple of minutes to score a late try. The Sports emerged victorious 15 – 5. Sports player of the week was Matthew Oglesbee for his tackling, rucking and some great passing of the ball into space.

The Under Elevens had a tough morning against a more aggressive Nelson side, going down 10 – 15. The first half was very scrappy with neither side gaining a foothold in the game. It looked to be ending scoreless until Nelson managed to find a gap and score a good try which was the last play of the half. The second half was a case of more of the same with good defence from both sides. Nelson were able to create space around their outside half and he crashed over from a couple of yards for their second try. He also had a hand in Nelson’s third try as the Sports held back expecting a kick, but he carried on running and played his winger in to cross the line for the third try. The Sports hit back with two tries of their own one from Gruff Lewis and the second from Jack Sperduty but they could not find their third try which would have been deserved. Nelson managed to hold out for the win.

The Under Twelves looked comfortable by half time in their game, having fought hard for a 19 – 0 lead against an eager Cwmavon side who were adept at challenging for the ball on the ground and fringing at the ruck. The home team took charge of the game within the first six minutes as they controlled the game through some smart forward work to keep possession. Half backs Will Ellis and Callum Lewis ensured they bossed the early possession and territory. Cwmavon were however a dangerous side and they showed what they are a capable side by fighting back in the second half.

 The Sports scored three unanswered tries in that first half, Harri Williams scored the first from close range after five phases of loose play which saw forwards, Mackenzie Dent, Chloe Gant and Theo Clarke make the hard yards in several bursts after backs Will Ellis, Callum Lewis, Thomas Coles and Tom Chick first created a wide attack.  Although Cwmavon managed to hold up Chloe Gant on the line, number eight Megan Lewis picked up from the five-metre scrum, she made a dash for the line before distributing to Harri Williams for him to score. Callum Jones converted.

The Sports confidence grew with their half backs both controlling and creating attacks and the forwards bursting the defence. It became a matter of time before the second try followed, Chloe Gant, Tyler Burton, Mackenzie and Dylan Parry punched through the Cwmavon defence, Harri Williams secured the ruck ball, Megan Lewis was waiting and made the final burst to score. Callum Jones converted.  Megan Lewis added the third try to extend the lead to 19 -0 at the end of the half.

 In the second half a combination of a Cwmavon revival and a dip in the Sports performance allowed Cwmavon back into the game, they used their backs well to provide their wings some space. They scored three unanswered second half ties, converted two to level the scores at 19-19.

The game could have gone either way with both sides scoring three tried each and converting two to share the spoils. 


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments