Pencoed RFC | Under 12s 10 - 10 Bridgend Sports Club RFC | Under 12s
Megan Lewis
1 Try
Callum Lewis
1 Try

Match Report
25 September 2017 / Team News

Under Twelves Held to a Draw by Last Minute Try


Bridgend Sports Under Twelves travelled to Felindre Road Pencoed for what was anticipated to be a hotly contested derby against their local rivals. The Sports had experienced the complete mixture of results before this game with a win, loss and draw, it was therefore a game that would provide a key measure of progress for the season to date; as in routine club fixtures the Sports had yet to lose their rivals. Their rivals though had started the season well, winning their three games to date.

It proved to be game where both teams tried to play rugby but neither side could get the upper hand for any significant period of the game as an order of chaos dominated the frequent rucks. Establishing any form of continuity became impossible as neither side could string any phases of play together. It was a case of frustration all round for all players and coaches. Pencoed enjoyed the early possession but good pressure from the Sport defence where Thomas Coles, Callum Lewis, Iestyn John, Harri Williams, Mason Balmer and Abi Davies Jones were keeping busy, confined play to within the ten-metre and half way lines.

The scoreboard looked to be heading for yet another 0 -0 at half time but Pencoed claimed a try  two minutes from half time. A Sports clearance kick led to a Pencoed counter attack that broke down, the Sports put in at the scrum and tried to run, but they lost possession.  Pencoed snapped up the loose ball for Finley Northope to score near the posts, the conversion failed. This sparked the Sports into life, they won a penalty opted for a quick tap.  Efan Dyer made good ground before being hauled down, for once the ball was recycled quickly to provide Cian John with some space, he made a break but was forced into touch a couple of metres out. Pencoed cleared but then conceded a penalty, Ieuan Pilliner put in a good touch finder deep into the Pencoed twenty-two, from the line out a smart move gave Megan Lewis the ball, she looked to have driven over the line only for the ball to inch forward on the line with the last play of the half.

In the second half, the Sports kicked off and put Pencoed under pressure from the start. Harri Williams in with a crunching tackle that robbed the opposition of possession, Megan Lewis took the ball, saw a gap and raced forward to punch a hole in the defence. She then made her determined run for the line. There was no stopping her and she sprinted away to bring the scores level at 5 -5.

The Sports were now awake and they soon began to secure possession but inconsistency and indecision crept into their play. They conceded a penalty at a maul deep on the Pencoed half. Pencoed opted to take a quick kick into space only for the Sports to field it and run it straight back at their opponents, they were hauled just short of the line. Pencoed used hands at the ruck in desperation. They won the ball and moved it only for Sports centre Callum Lewis to halt the counter, he pounced on the loose ball to gain retribution for the offending steal at the previous ruck to send the Sports into a 10-5 lead.

It was a lead that they retained right into the last seconds of the game, Pencoed were awarded a penalty they opted to kick to touch, they secured the line out before moving the ball wide for winger Elliot Evans to outpace the defenders out wide. The scores were tied, with the attempted conversion rebounding off the cross bar. The game ended all square at 10-10.   


Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos