Bridgend Sports Club RFC | 1st Team 35 - 3 Cwmgors RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
24 September 2018 / Team News

Bridgend Sports 35 Cwmgors 3

In quite dreadful conditions in which the rain did not ease all game the visitors kicked off on a blustery Bandstand Field. Most of the first 20 minutes saw both teams trying to cope with a greasy ball and quite a heavy pitch. The way it was to work out was that the Sports made far fewer mistakes and were more creative in attack for most of the match. Callum Griffiths, the Sports fly half converted two out of three attempted penalties as Cwmgors struggled under Sports sustained pressure and it looked as if the half would end this way until Griffiths picked up three more points when the Cwmgors forwards transgressed in the ruck and the Sports led 9-0.

It was now virtually half time but the visitors made two unforced errors with poorly judged clearance kicks. The first one was collected by James Donovan and with room, he made good yards with Lloyd Wilson in support and the flanker gave a short pass to Keith David for the wing to touch down almost under the posts.Griffiths added the two extra. From the kick off Cwmgors fluffed a kick which was returned as a high ‘Gary Owen’ by Griffiths and followed up by Lloyd Wilson who chipped ahead then showed great pace and footballing skills to dribble the wet ball 30 metres and score half way out. A real old fashioned “Foot-Rush” but most effective. Griffiths again added the two points and within five minutes the visitors had gone from a respectable 9-0 score to 23-0 and the half ended.

The first score of the second half went to Cwmgors as the Sports handled on the ground in a ruck and Josh Jones took the score to 23-3. Play was continually being stopped for injuries and the ref was very quick on the whistle, so this made for a stop-start game for much of the half. The best move of the half saw Lee Roderick just held up over the line but the ref was playing advantage to the Sports and James Donovan took a quick tap and Keith David again had Lloyd Wilson on his shoulder to drive over for the flanker’s second try which Griffiths again converted.

The final try came when James Donovan, ever determined to get his threes on the move, took another quick penalty and the inter-passing, considering the conditions, was very good, Matthew Donnelly was in the line and distributed well to Lloyd Roderick on the left, for the winger to score in the corner. This time Griffiths failed with a difficult kick and the match ended 35-3.

Next week the Spots are away to Swansea Uplands and away the following week away to Bryncoch in the next round of the Bowl competition following the Sports win against Bridgend Athletic last week.

(Match Report written by Garnet Edwards)

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos