Briton Ferry RFC | 1st Team 0 - 59 Bridgend Sports Club RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
08 January 2018 / Team News

Briton Ferry 0 Sports 59

The game started with early Sports pressure but they complicated their attack with too many passes not going to hand, albeit in heavy conditions. From these mistakes Briton Ferry, against the run of play put the visitors under pressure, but the defence was good. When Briton Ferry made a hash of a line throw, it was Rhys Obbard who quickly made ground before center Ken Morris fed Scott Callicott and he inturn gave a neat pass to Lee Roderick who had travelled from the right wing to score on the left for a try Josh Davies just failed with.

This was to be the pattern of most of the game with Lee Roderick always hungry for the ball, and superb in support and work rate, he went on to score four more such tries. The Sports had to wait 20 minutes for Lee to get his second and this followed scrappy play and poor handling by both sides before Roderick made the difference with pace through the center and scored under the posts and with Davies converting the score crept to 0-12.

Then Briton Ferry put the Sports under pressure and it needed stout defence as the big home forwards drove 6 or 7 times to the line, however, it was Ryan Wallis who stole the ball and fed the threequarters on the Sports own line. Instead of kicking for touch, Ken Morris saw some space on the right wing and with Lee roderick on his shoulder ran from his tryline and off-loaded to Roderick on the 22 for the wing to run the length of the field for his third try, Davies adding the points and ending the half 0-19.

As the half began the Sports seemed to pick up the pace and improved their handling with Josh Davies making a fine break down the right wing, again Roderick was in support but pulled down short of the line. He quickly recovered and seemed to take up the outside half position, he was fed by the scrum half Callicott and galloped over for his 4th try. Davies made it 0-26. Rhys Obbard got the next try as he continued to run strongly and deservedly scored wide out, Davies kicking a difficult conversion.

Then when flyhalf Darren Lewis broke from his 22 he was supported by Cory Thomas who ran as if his house was on fire, there was good support from four players but winger Rob Spears got the ball and was efficient scoring under the posts and the score after Davies conversion was 0-40 and the Sports now looking more fluid as Briton Ferry tired. Lee Rodericks fifth try came when he supported captain Josh Davies who made a fine break from deep in the Sports half. Handing the scoring pass to Roderick and kicking the conversion.

Then from an orthodox first phase move from the lineout Rob Spears grabed his second try as he joined the line from the left wing at pace and cut through to score under the posts. The final try of the game was a fine one, again from a first phase line ball and this time it was the turn of Dan James to show his pace and a clean pair of heels to the whole of the Briton Ferry side the kick failed and the game ended 0-59.

Credit must be given here to Briton Ferry who struggled to field a side but never stopped trying, as they were determined this fixture had to go ahead. There was a fine welcome from them to all the Sports visitors and Committee in their lovely Club House

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos